Sunday, February 13, 2011

Robbie Burns "I Dream'd I Lay...'


I once read the complete works of Robert Burns without pause, and was delighted by its happy rhythm. His poems are songs, with or without the music. Burns was such a cheeky, hearty fellow, I couldn’t help but laugh and smile my way through the text.
The embroidery is lovely to stitch, with its subtly blended colours and fat, red rosebuds. It’s a peaceful scene. I’d be pleased to lay under its golden trees on luscious green grass, dreaming in the sunshine!

I dream’d I lay where flowers were springing,
Gaily in the sunny beam;
List’ning to the wild birds singing,
Beside a falling crystal stream:
(Robert Burns 1759-1796)

The Pattern comes with a printed deep ivory silk slip. The colour doesn't quite pick up the richness of the fabric. I'll have a go at photographing the fabric to post as a seperate picture (mine is on satin backed shantung which is both unavailable and nowhere near as nice).

Pattern available at Etsy as a PDF file.

No comments: